Acid Reflux Medicine – Finally Key Information About Your Different Options
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a very common disease condition, which affects millions of people of all age groups. GERD is caused when the stomach contents and the digestive acids present in the stomach, tend to leak back into the esophagus, against the natural path of peristaltic movement of the alimentary tract. There are several different options of acid reflux medicine available which include antacids, acid suppressants, acid blockers, anti spasm medicines as well medicines that protect the mucosal lining of the esophagus.
Factors such as overeating, tight clothing, nicotine containing substances (such as tea, cigarettes, etc), coffee and other caffeine containing products, non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (such as aspirin and ibuprofen), spicy foods (containing garlic, onion, etc ), oil-dripping fatty foods, peppermint, mint, chocolates, etc, act as triggers and encourage acid reflux in the body. The reflux of digestive acids into the esophagus creates a burning sensation in the chest, right behind the sternum, which is referred to as heartburn. The most common symptoms of heartburn include – painfulness or a burning sensation in the chest and the throat, sourness or bitterness in the mouth, chronic coughing, difficulty in swallowing, and respiratory complications such as wheezing or asthma-like symptoms. Apart from severe heartburn, some of the other common symptoms of heartburn include a persistent sore throat, a problem in swallowing and chronic dry cough problem.
There are also some very strange GERD symptoms such as – hoarseness in voice and a persistent feeling as if there is still food sticking on in your throat. These strange GERD symptoms are seen in people of all age groups, however, pickiness about foods and refusal to eat, (caused due to a persistent sore throat) are some of the symptoms which are most commonly seen in children.
The different kinds of acid reflux medicine include –
- A very important category of heartburn medication includes the antacids, which contain three basic components – magnesium, calcium, and / or aluminum in varying compositions. The antacids (such as Amphogel, Alternagel, Alka-2, Maalox, Mylanta, Titralac, and Tums) neutralize the acidity of the digestive juices present in the stomach and therefore, aid in reducing heartburn and other acid reflux symptoms.
- Another category of heartburn medication includes the H2 receptor antagonists such as Famotidine (Pepcid AC), Cimetidine (Tagamet), Ranitidine (Zantac), or Nizatidine (Axid), which aids in blocking the acid production. Within an hour of taking these medicines, the patient gets relief from heartburn and related symptoms. The effect lasts between 6 to 24 hours, but in the case of very severe heartburn, patients may also be asked to take these medicines twice a day.
- The most reliable and effective category of heartburn medication includes the Proton Pump Inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec), esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), and pantoprazole (Protonix), which suppress the production of digestive acids in the stomach, as well as heal the sores and ulcerations on the esophagus, provide relief from laryngitis, and also calm down the nauseating feeling that occurs commonly due to severe acid reflux.
- Yet another category of acid reflux medicine includes those medicines that form a fine protective coating over the ulcerations present in the mucosal lining of the esophagus. These drugs effectively prevent any further damage of the mucosal lining of the esophagus as well as the other portions of the entire alimentary tract and also provide respite from the symptoms of heartburn. However, anti spasm medicine such as baclofen, can also be used for treating both acid as well as non-acid reflux. It plays an important role in strengthening the lower esophageal sphincter muscle and in improving its functionality, as a result of which, the leaking of the stomach acids (as in the case of acid reflux) or bile juice (as in the case of non- acid reflux) into the esophagus is prevented.
Treatment For Acid Reflux
The most common symptom of acid reflux is heartburn. This can be the first indication that you are suffering from acid reflux disease. If you find that you have heartburn more than once a week you are at risk for developing acid reflux. If you have gone through the diagnostics and are confirmed to have acid reflux you can expect some things from treatment.
Suppressing the pains into your esophagus is the first priority for the treatment of this uncomfortable disease. Lifestyle changes are the most common ways to help in the treatment of this disease but medicines may be used for more problematic acid reflux.
Doctors will use either a step up approach or a step down approach. With a step up approach the attempt to cur the symptoms with over the counter medications is tried first. If that does not help the symptoms the patient is gradually brought up with more potent medicines. With a step down approach the patient is started on the more potent medications and gradually brought down to over the counter preparations.
Symptoms may be completely relieved with medications but will reappear once medication has stopped. This means that the treatment and maintenance of your acid reflux disease will need to continue as necessary.
There are times when medications will not work at all. Then it will become necessary for the doctor to explore other causes for the acid reflux disease. Other disorders must be ruled out before treatment can continue. In some cases it may be determined that it is bile and not acid that is causing the symptoms. In those cases the acid blocking medications would not work.
When all treatments including lifestyle changes and medications have failed to alleviate the symptoms it may be necessary to have surgery. This is, of course, the last resort. It is also a possibility if the patient is very young and faces a lifetime of medications and discomfort. They are minimally invasive procedures and can improve the situation quite well. However, there have been a significant amount of failures of these procedures so they should not be taken lightly. Only when all other options are off the table or the patient faces a lifetime of discomfort should surgery be considered.
The best treatment a person has under their own control is lifestyle changes. Make sure to eat a healthy diet and stay away from foods that aggravate the condition. Stress can cause stomach acids to rise up and increase the discomfort faced by acid reflux disease. Take steps to eliminate the stress in your life. Get exercise and look into relaxation techniques as a method to de-stress your life.
The bottom line is that acid reflux disease is a real and painful problem for many people. Finding the correct treatment program may require a bit of trial and error. To eliminate the pain of acid reflux the patient must find the treatment plan that will work for them over a long period of time. Making lifestyle changes as well as some of the medications available can go a long way to reducing the discomfort of acid reflux disease.
Organic Cures for Indigestion, Heartburn, and Nausea
When I believe of indigestion, heartburn and nausea, the common ad marketing campaign for Pepto Bismol with the dancing signs or symptoms starts off taking part in in my head. Then the pink chalky residue arrives to thoughts, ew. So what is a all-natural wellness female to do when she has a abdomen ache? Consult the herbalists and substitute drugs gurus, of program.
The key indicators of indigestion consist of stomach agony, a burning sensation in the upper abdomen, nausea, heartburn, bloating, belching, vomiting and flatulence. Appears like a excellent time, eh? Remember to do talk to with your alternate drugs practitioner if you have a serious difficulty, but if it is just the occasional malady, below are a couple of natural therapies that may possibly assist:
Indigestion Prevention – Drink a mixture of one particular teaspoon ginger and two tablespoons baking soda in cold drinking water just before ingesting to stay away from indigestion completely.
Bananas – Ripe bananas are essentially pure antacids that enable to soothe the lining of your stomach. I guess that is why pediatricians often suggest them when the minimal types are not experience very well.
Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice – Incorporate possibly of these to very hot h2o and consume to alkalize the acid in your abdomen if you do not have a banana handy.
Tea – The next teas are outstanding for indigestion: ginger, peppermint, fennel, lemon balm, cinnamon, slippery elm powder.
Why h2o=poor with a food – Certainly, the glass is on the table at dinner, but you shouldn’t consume even though taking in according to professionals. Water can dilute the gastric acid in your tummy which leads to indigestion.
Natural Heartburn Relief – Home Remedy
If you suffer from heartburn some food can make your suffering even worse. However there are some categories of food have the ability to give you natural tie. The following tips will help you to choose a natural remedy that you can find even in your kitchen.
Almonds: chew six to eight almonds during the heartburn attack. It will help you to relive the symptoms. While chewing, try not to swallow air otherwise it can cause you additional discomfort.
Apples: Eat fresh apples. They naturally reduce the acidity in stomach.
Brown rice: You can use white rice but brown works better. Rice food prevails the heartburn.
Cabbage: the same as apples cage is a natural "fire extinguisher" for your stomach. To make even stronger effect you can make juice from a cabin and drink it whenever you have heartburn sensations.
Juice: Avoid citric juices. Drink mango, guava, and pear juices.
Potato: Make potato juice. Mix c cup of potato juice with c cup of water and drink it after each meal. That also reduces the acidity of your stomach.
Pumpkin: Eat freshly baked pumpkin. Also you can make a drink by boiling pumpkin and apples in water. Add some honey in it. It is not only a remedy but also very delicious drink.
Vinegar: Take one table spoon of apple vinegar and one table spoon of honey. Mix it together with one glass of water. Drink it at first symptoms of heartburn.
Water: Drink a lot of water. But keep in mind that you need to drink water in between meals so it absorbs faster. If you drink water with your meal it increases the content in your stomach that makes you more vulnerable to heartburn.
Acid Reflux or Gerd – Far better Nights Slumber
When you're awake, you know what's heading on with your body and can acquire treatment of factors this kind of as Acid Reflux when it occurs. Nevertheless, when you're sleeping you're not constantly conscious of what's taking place to your overall body, so it is pretty important that you get ready on your own in advance of going to bed so that there are no surprises in the course of the evening.
WARNING! Physical exercise can bring about Acid Reflux , so do not exercise in advance of heading to mattress. Under no circumstances assumed you'd at any time listen to that from any person – right? I'm not kidding – DO NOT exercising before mattress. But DO work out any other time of the day – just not at night time.
Some a lot more points you'll want to verify out to make sure you have a restful evenings rest are:
- Have on free-fitting pajamas. In fact, put on free-fitting apparel working day and night time. Tight or cosy apparel as well as stuff like belts put strain on your abdomen, which in transform can induce Acid Reflux .
- Snooze with your head and shoulders elevated about 4-6 inches. You want to hold your head higher than your stomach all the time since you do not want any acid flowing back into your throat, or even worse – you can conclusion up choking or inhaling acid into your lungs. Scary!
- The best way to elevate your mattress is by increasing the best of the mattress instead than just propping oneself up on pillows. Attempt wedging a thing beneath the mattress to elevate it. Anything that will hold the mattress elevated will work. You can even invest in a gerd pillow or gerd bed. Can you believe that it! The wood blocks beneath my mattress worked just great.
- Rest on your left aspect so your tummy is lower than your esophagus. It also aids with digestion (sure your foods lasts to digest although you're sleeping), and helps get rid of the acid in your belly.
- Do not rest on your back simply because the force on your stomach can press “stuff” into your esophagus.
- Do not rest on your correct side either mainly because it can interfere with the esophageal sphincter – the muscles that maintain the acid from flowing into your esophagus.
- If you continue to have hassle sleeping, consider modifying positions throughout the evening to enable get tension off your tummy and intestines.
My spouse was acquiring sick of me having up just about every night and disturbing his snooze. Oh cruel world! Exactly where is the appreciate when it is desired? Not at 3 am in the morning, that's for certain. After a although it grew to become so schedule that he at any time discovered to rest ideal through my belching and burping and gagging .
We're nonetheless married. At minimum I recognize he's nevertheless there when I get up every morning.
I expended many, many sleepless nights tossing and turning since of the acid rising in my throat. For 10 many years Acid Reflux, or Gerd , prevented me from getting a great evenings rest.
BUT In no way Yet again! NOW, I Sleep LIKE A Little one!
You much too can have a much better nights rest. Why would not you want to?